Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I'm in the GIS field and would like to get involved in humanitarian affairs, or wildlife refugee.?

Is it possible to combine these two fields with GIS? If so, what type of experience work should I get involved in, or what classes should I take?





(My B.S. is in Geography w/ five years experience in GIS.)





Thanks for any help.I'm in the GIS field and would like to get involved in humanitarian affairs, or wildlife refugee.?
In Australia, I would suggest a Diploma in Community Development, or a Degree in Human Science - Community Development, there must be some sort of equivalent where ever you are.I'm in the GIS field and would like to get involved in humanitarian affairs, or wildlife refugee.?
Contact any of the big agencies and express an interest. I guarantee they'll find something that uses your skills.
You can probably get a job with the US Forest Service, US Fish and Wildlife Service, or even a non-profit to do all their wildlife management mapping. You might also try an environmental consultant firm...they always need GIS people.
There are many companies and organizations that use GIS for more than pasting together Google maps. They use it for crop management, geo-social analysis, etc.





I'm sure you'll have plenty of opportunity to use those skills in the field you prefer.





If you want more selection in careers, I'd recommend an MSc.
i dunno

No comments:

Post a Comment