Saturday, January 16, 2010

Working with Wildlife animals?

Hi,


I want to work with wild life animals. I want to rescue abused and abandoned animals and then when they are better, release them back into the wild. I don't care about this for my career, even volunteering would be great.


I was wondering how I can get started in doing something like this? I live in Michigan (The Grand Rapids area) and I can't find any rehabilitation centers by me. If you have any advice on how to get started I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much. Working with Wildlife animals?
While I do not wish to throw cold water on your aspirations of a career, I would caution you to be aware of the facts. First, you should know that most wild animals are rarely neither abused, or abandoned. Usually, wild animals that are in need of 'help' are injured. There are laws that limit truly wild animals from being kept by humans in most states, including Michigan, so there is not much of a futre in that. Most wild animals that are injured are euthanized. That may seem harsh, however, wild animals often do not do well in captivity, and if they do allow themselves to be stable in captivity, they may not re-adapt to the wild-why?, because they get used to being fed. Anyway, getting back to your original question, if you want to work with wildlife, go to work for the state or federal fish and game agencies. They are primarily charged with the welfare of the wildlife, and they have the jobs you are looking for-but, do not be too surprised when the owl with a broken wing, or the deer with a broken leg because of a collision with a car, are quietly and efficiently euthanized, you need to be able to do that, for the good of the individual and for the good of the species.Working with Wildlife animals?
I would start first by contacting the Michigan Humane Society: www.michiganhumane.org/ . I know they don't deal exclusively with wildlife, but they will be able to help.





Good Luck!
Search around for rehab centers on the internet and contact them. They should be able to give you the info you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment