Wednesday, January 20, 2010

We have a skunk caught in a live trap. I have called Wildlife Refuge and also Cedar Park Animal Control...?

...neither one can help! I don't want for it to die in the trap and I can't get close enough to turn it lose. What do I do?





We have a skunk caught in a live trap. I have called Wildlife Refuge and also Cedar Park Animal Control...?
so you caught a skunk, and now cant get it back out of the trap.





first off.. why?





second. I'm assuming its a box trap like a hav a hart.. in the morning call your state fish and game dept. someone there will come and get the skunk. you need to make sure it has some sort of shade till the officer comes and get water to it somehow.


OR from the Havahart web site


What should I do if I catch a skunk?


It is best to prevent any undue annoyance to the skunk then there will be no need to fear any obnoxious odor!








First, find an old cloth, towel or sheet that will be used to cover the trap.





Next, approach the trap cautiously holding the trap covering in front of you.





Make sure that this covering extends to the ground while holding it - don't let the skunk see your feet coming as this may alarm him. When you're close enough to the trap, gently cover the trapped animal--trap and all.





Since skunks are nocturnal, den-dwellers this covering will help to calm him. He may even curl up in a corner of the trap if given a few minutes to relax. After that, the covered cage can be lifted by the handle and the skunk transported to a safer place and released.








[ back to top ]





We have a skunk caught in a live trap. I have called Wildlife Refuge and also Cedar Park Animal Control...?
If it isn't showing signs of being rabid, don't kill it. It is true that skunks can carry rabies, but the answer is not to kill all the skunks.


Why are you setting live traps if you don't know how to deal with the animals you intend to catch?


Throw a tarp or blanket of some kind over the trap. The darkness will calm the animal enough to be allow you to be able to safely move the trap into a transport vehicle. Then simply transport the animal far away from your area and release it in an area where it will be able to live out its life. Be sure to release it in a wooded area away from people.
Skunks carry rabies like may wild animals. If you have any outside pets I would just call the police and ask them to shoot it. Sounds cruel but it is coming to your house for something and obviously you had the trap baited. What were you trying to catch? Noone will be able to get close enough to this skunk without it spraying them.





We had a baby skunk on our property during the summer two years ago. It was about 9-10 AM which is unusally. My beagles were going nuts and one of them was a 10 week old puppy. I went to get the dogs out of their kennel and the skunk charged me... It went into the woods and I was throwing a stick at it to scare it off and well I got what I deserved. The wind shifted right as it sprayed but I had to bathe 2 times in Beagle Shampoo made for de-skunking. Now whenever we smell one my daughter says ';Oh mom I smell your special perfume!';





Good luck!
Call cops. Ask your neighbor who is not scared to help. Don't let it die. Why are you setting a live traps if you can't operate them? Why are you catching him just to release or attempt to release?
Call the police and maybe they can help you.





Or notify the news, and they'll organize away to help.





Maybe give him a snack so he does not go hungry (from afar if possible) and give some water.
www.albinoblacksheep.com =D

No comments:

Post a Comment